Pre dating seattle reviews
The site was abandoned in approximately 1800, for unknown reasons.
This is the main article of a series that covers the history of Seattle, Washington, a city in the Pacific Northwest region of the United States of America.
Seattle is a major port city that has a history of boom and bust.
Seattle has on several occasions been sent into severe decline, but has typically used those periods to successfully rebuild infrastructure. In the mid-1850s the Coast Salish peoples of what is now called the Duwamish Tribe and Suquamish, as well as other associated groups and tribes, were living in some 13 villages within the present-day city limits of Seattle.
There have been at least five such cycles: What is now Seattle has been inhabited since the end of the last glacial period (c. Evidence of continuous human habitation of a village site within the current city limits of the city of Seattle dating back to the 6th century C. exists on the Port of Seattle Terminal 107 site, located on the Western bank of the Duwamish River.
Seattle in its early decades relied on the timber industry, shipping logs (and later, milled timber) to San Francisco.
A climax forest of trees up to 1,000–2,000 years old and towering as high as nearly 400 ft (100 m) covered much of what is now Seattle.Today, none of that size remain anywhere in the world.However, Luther Collins, Henry Van Asselt, and the Maple family founded a farming settlement on what is currently the Seattle neighborhood of Georgetown in September 27, 1851.The Denny party's original site was an unfinished cabin, without roof, and a camp site, located at Alki Point, in West Seattle.The Collins party settlement was improved with permanent structures, and was soon producing produce and meat for sale and barter. Denny abandoned the original site at Alki in favor of a better protected site on Elliott Bay that is now part of downtown Seattle. Denny and Luther Collins were the first commissioners of King County after its creation in 1852.Around the same time, David Swinson "Doc" Maynard began settling the land immediately south of Denny's.