The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) uses your family net income to calculate them, so they may change when your marital status changes.The CRA will recalculate your benefits and credits based on: If your marital status changes, you need to tell the CRA before the end of the month after the month your status changed.For example, if your marital status changes at any time in August, tell the CRA about the change by the end of September.

Generally speaking, a Canadian citizen who marries a U. citizen is entitled to permanent residency (commonly known as a "green card") and, eventually, U.

- not to mention the surging popularity of online dating - the increasing number of U. citizens marrying Canadians really comes as no surprise.

When your marital status changes, you need to tell us.

Your marital status affects your child and family benefits.

If you get married or are now considered to be living common-law, and you or your new spouse or common-law partner has children who live with you, the CRA will put all of the children on the female parent’s account.

If you are married or living common-law with a person of the same sex, one of you will get the Canada child benefit (CCB) for all of the children in the household.To continue getting the CCB, you must file an income tax and benefit return every year, even if you did not have income in the year.You can tell the CRA about your new status and the date of the change by: If you receive payments based on an incorrect marital status, you may have to pay back any differences in amounts once your status is changed to the current status.The CRA will go back to the month after the month your marital status changed and change your benefits from then.Visit balance owing - Benefits overpayment for more information.If you get your payments by direct deposit, make sure your banking information is up to date.